TARLOV CYSTS - Canada the misinformed!!!

The rare diagnosis of Tarlov Cyst Disease poses significant challenges in the realm of medical care. Most Canadian Medical Practitioners lack the expertise to accurately diagnose, treat, or manage this condition. As a result, patients often find themselves navigating a healthcare system ill-prepared to address their needs, leaving them feeling lost, scared, and isolated. This lack of medical understanding perpetuates feelings of misinformation and uncertainty among Canadian patients. Through this blog, I aim to share my journey of navigating the Canadian Healthcare system while living with multiple rare disease diagnoses. I have dedicated myself to learning as much as possible about my rare diseases, hoping that my experiences and hard-earned self-education can support and guide others on their own rare disease journey. Together, let's shed light on the challenges those living with rare diseases face and work towards a more compassionate and informed healthcare system.

Search This Blog

Friday, March 25, 2011

Diagnosed with a Tarlov, Perineural, Meningeal or Arachnoid Cyst?

Too many times Tarlov, Perineural and Menigeal Cysts are seen as an incidental finding on most MRI's or CT's. Most Radiologists and Physicians don't even bother to tell you a cyst was found believing they are mostly asymptomatic. Even if the cyst is recorded and mentioned in your MRI or CT report, which is not always the case, most Physicians assume there is no way this little cyst sitting on, in, or around your spinal cord, could be the cause of your developing, ongoing problems. Sometimes the Physician is right, but there's currently a long list of patients, including myself, who can prove that sometimes they're wrong. Sometimes that little, incidental cyst is exactly what is causing your agony. There are living examples, such as myself, who can attest to how these cysts can indeed be symptomatic and how they can detrimentally effect your life.


When I was first diagnosed I was totally stunned to learn that not one Physician I knew, and I know quite a few, had ever heard of these cysts. Then when I did finally find Doctors who'd heard of these cysts very few believed they were symptomatic and responsible for my ever increasing, excruciating and debilitating chronic pain.


I ended up having to dedicate the first year after being diagnosed trying to find out as much as I could about my spinal cord, human anatomy and physiology. I had to find out what they were, what caused them and what could be done to treat them. It wasn't easy to figure out what was relevant information, what was hypothetical jargon, and what was bias based on professional arrogance. Sometimes it can be very difficult to recognize the difference, but I'm going to give you some links that just might make your journey a little easier than the one I traveled. It can also make your journey easier than most of the TC sufferers, or Tarlovians I know.


Consider this a gift, but remember there are limits to every gift. You will still have a lot of work and learning to do on your own, but these links will help make the work and the learning a little easier to achieve.


I wish you luck on your journey and wish you all the best of outcomes.


Remember. Be positive, don't give up hope and always pay it forward. Just as I help you today, perhaps the day will come where your knowledge and experience may just be what a scared, unknowing, newly diagnosed sufferer may be in desperate need of. Sharing is the key. Be proud of what you've learned, share how you learned it and direct anyone and everyone affected by this illness to the best of what and who you know.


We are never alone..... we have each other. Please help us to keep it that way....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts